Community Funeral Home at 909 5th Street was originally known as Strange and Higginbotham Funeral Home. M.W. Thornhill, Jr. "Teedy" was the manager. In 1946, opportunity presented itself to Teedy to purchase what is now Community Funeral Home. As time went on Teedy remodeled the funeral home with additions of a chapel, five viewing parlors, bathrooms, two offices and the building was later bricked. We have an entire updated white fleet consisting of two Lincoln hearses, three Lincoln sedans, one Lincoln limousine, Chevrolet suburban and a Dodge caravan and we have currently upgraded our lead car to a 2012 BMW.
Teedy is still the current owner and president with four licensed funeral directors and embalmers on staff of which his son, M.W. Thornhill, III "Butch", his granddaughter, Chonda Thornhill and grandson, M.W. Thornhill, IV and 15 total employees to continue his lifelong legacy.